FOOD: How To Prepare Edikang Ikong Soup
Updated Sunday 6 May 2018 1:20
The Nigerian Edikang Ikong soup or simply Vegetable Soup is native to the Efiks, people from Akwa Ibom and Cross River states of Nigeria.
Prepared with a generous quantity of pumpkin leaves and water leaves, this Nigerian soup recipe is nourishing in every sense of the word.
Welcome as we prepare Edikang Ikong Soup:
Ingredients for Edikang Ikong Soup
- 1kg Pumpkin leaves
- 500g Water leaves (Talinum Triangulare)
- 600g Beef, Kanda, shaki and Dry fish
- Pepper, Salt and ground crayfish: to taste
- 200ml Palm oil
- 1 cup Periwinkle
- 2 medium onions
- 2-3 stock cubes
Before you cook the Edikaikong Soup
- Wash and cut the pumpkin and water leaves into tiny pieces. Put them in separate sieves to drain out all the water as much as possible.
- Cut the Kanda into small pieces. Cook the beef, kanda and the dry fish with the 2 bulbs of diced onions and the stock cubes with as little quantity of water as possible.
- When the meat is done, add a generous amount of palm oil, the crayfish and pepper and leave to boil for about 10 minutes. The palm oil serves as the liquid in the Edikang Ikong soup. You should try as much as possible to make it the only liquid in the soup.
- Add the periwinkle and water leaves and leave to cook for another 5 minutes. You may have to cook for less time at this stage so that the water leaves are not over-cooked.
- Now add the pumpkin leaves and salt to taste. Stir the contents of the pot very well and turn off the heat. Cover the pot and leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
- Thats it!
Serve with Garri (Eba), Semolina Fufu, Amala, Cassava Fufu or Pounded Yam.
One Favour Please, Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel
Join us on Facebook & Twitter
Video Posted 5 Months ago
What do you think about this? React and add comments below
If this violates your rights in any way, please report it here and it will be taken down within 24 hours.
Click Here To Hide More Posts Like This
Watch and Download Free Mobile Movies, Read entertainment news and reports, Download music and Upload your own For FREE. Submit Your Content to be published for you FREE! We thrive on user-submitted content! But we moderate!