Chad withdraws troops from fight against Boko Haram
Updated Friday 13 October 2017
The pull-out over the past two weeks could weaken a region-wide struggle against the militants who have killed tens of thousands of people, forced many more to flee and triggered a humanitarian crisis.
Chad warned at the time the order could affect its security commitments, which include its involvement in the U.S.-backed fight against Boko Haram.
Residents said the withdrawal had already had an impact on Niger’s Diffa region, which has seen a string of attacks by Boko Haram militants crossing over from their base in neighbouring Nigeria.
Ibrahim Arimi from the border village of Bosso said banditry had increased since the Chadian troops started leaving and he had been temporarily moved to another village for safety.
Diffa parliamentarian Lamido Moumouni said residents had started complaining.
“They have come to rely on the forces so there is a perception that security will be lacking,” he said by telephone.
At its peak in 2016 after an attack in Bosso, Chad had 2,000 troops in Niger to help counter Boko Haram although security sources said this has fallen since.
Boko Haram has attacked Chad, Niger and Cameroon from its base in northeast Nigeria.
Its eight-year bid to carve out an Islamist caliphate has driven millions from their homes, no fewer than 200,000 of them are now based in Diffa, with little prospect of returning home.
Thousands of them are camped alongside an unfinished highway in the middle of a barren savannah with few resources.
Sharing is Lovely! You Can Comment Too! Just Scroll!
One Favour Please, Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel
Join us on Facebook & Twitter
Article Posted 1 Year ago
What do you think about this? React and add comments below
Please Click on the OK button below to hide this message